As technology continues to advance, keeping up with the latest hardware and software can be somewhat of a challenge for the everyday user. Whether the need to identify the exact model of an iPhone is due to its purchase or repair, it is important to know where to look. With a little guidance, it can be quite easy to check the make of an iPhone.
The Challenge of How to See What Kind of iPhone You Have
It can be quite challenging and confusing to know exactly what model of iPhone one has. It becomes even more of a challenge when you are planning on selling your device or in need of support for your device. This blog is to help you identify the exact model of iPhone you have.
Things You Should Prepare for
The first thing you should do when you want to identify the model of iPhone is to ensure that your iPhone battery is charged. Phone models have different ways of identifying and as such, having a charged battery assures that the device will be on and operable. You also need to make sure that your iPhone is on iOS 10.3 or higher.
Method 1: Using the Model Number
Before the introduction of the iPhone X, all iPhone models except the iPhone SE, had their model numbers engraved on the back of their phones. It is safe to say that this is one of the easiest ways to identify the model of the phone. To locate the model number, look for the pattern of “Model AXXXX” either on the back of the phone or inside the SIM tray or go to Settings -> General -> About -> Model on your iPhone.
1. Turn over your iPhone and look at the back.
2. Check for the model number engraving above the regulatory markings. If it’s not there, move to Step 3.
3. Pop out the SIM card tray on the right side of the phone using a SIM eject tool or a paperclip.
4. Look for the model number printed on the tray that holds your SIM card.
– Easy and fast to identify model.
– Does not require any external tools or software.
– Not always available due to certain models not having the model number on the back.
– May not be effective if the phone has a protective case or cover.
Method 2: Using the Settings App on Your Phone
Another way to check your iPhone model is by using the settings app. This is particularly useful if you can’t find the iPhone model number on the back of your phone or in the SIM tray. It’s easy, fast, and does not require any extra tools or software.
1. Go to your home screen and tap on the Settings app.
2. Scroll down until you see the General menu item and tap on it.
3. Tap on About in the General menu.
4. On the About screen, you will see a listing that shows Model with a number next to it. This is your exact iPhone Model number.
– Does not require disassembling your device or using extra equipment.
– Available on every iPhone, no matter which version it is.
– It is safe and risk-free.
– Requires your iPhone to be turned on.
– Phone must be in “working order” to perform this check.
Method 3: Through iTunes
If you’re not able to see the iPhone model number within the settings on your iPhone, you can use iTunes on a PC to look for the device info.
1. Connect your iPhone to your computer or laptop.
2. Open iTunes.
3. Under Devices, click on your iPhone’s name.
4. In the center of the screen, you’ll see a section called "iPhone." Below that, there’s a section called "Model" that lists your model number.
– It can identify the model of an iPhone whose screen isn’t functioning.
– This method can also be used to back up files on your device or to manage it in other ways.
– Requires a computer/laptop with installed iTunes software.
– It can take longer than Method 1 & 2.
Why Can’t I Identify the Model of My iPhone?
If you are unable to identify the model of your iPhone, there are a few reasons why this might be the case:
Q: Why can’t I Identify the Model of My iPhone on the back of the device?
A: Today, most of the latest models do not have the model number printed on the back.
Q: I could not find the iPhone Model in the Settings app?
A: You likely have an older version of iOS. Please check the version of your iOS and update it to the latest version.
Q: I can’t seem to locate the Model Number?
A: If the above methods aren’t working, open iTunes on your computer and then connect your iPhone. In iTunes click on your device, then Summary in the left sidebar. Look at the details pane on the right-hand side – you’ll see a ‘Serial Number’ heading at the top. Click on this and it’ll change to display your phone’s IMEI number and the model number.
To avoid any confusion or difficulty when handling your iPhone, ensure that you write down or take a picture of the model number before you dispose of it, or before you take it in for repairs. You don’t want to be stuck in the dark when looking to solve a problem with your device.
5 FAQs about How to See What Kind of iPhone You Have
Q1. Is there an app that tells you what kind of iPhone you have?
A: There isn’t an app that can directly identify the model of your iPhone.
Q2. How can I tell how old my iPhone is?
A: The only way to determine how old your iPhone is would be to look at the serial number of the device. All iPhones have a unique identifier, and it can reveal where and when your device was manufactured.
Q3. What is the difference between iPhone models?
A: Each new model of the iPhone includes additional features and upgrades over its predecessors. Features include better cameras, new processors, and larger screens.
Q4. Why is it important to know what type of iPhone you have?
A: It’s important to identify the model of your iPhone for repair purposes. Different models have different types of repair solutions.
Q5. What is the newest iPhone model?
A: The latest iPhone models are the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro.
Knowing the exact model of your iPhone can be quite useful. It’s important to be familiar with the different models because it can save you time and money in the long run. There are multiple ways to identify an iPhone model, but by far the easiest way is to simply check the model number in your phone’s settings and compare it with the list of iPhone models. With this article, identifying the model of an iPhone shouldn’t be a problem anymore.