Have you ever listened to a song and thought about using it as your ringtone? Having a personalized ringtone can be a great way to show off your style and stand out from the crowd. Despite being a popular feature on smartphones, not everyone knows how to change their ringtone to a song of their choice. In this article, we will discuss several methods on how to make a song into a ringtone using iTunes, a music player and management software developed by Apple.
Why You Need to Make Song into Ringtone iTunes
Having a customized ringtone can make your phone more distinctive and personalized. Besides, if you’re using a song that you love as your ringtone, it can help lift your mood whenever you receive a call. Furthermore, it’s a great opportunity to show off your taste in music in a subtle yet impressive way. Apple’s iTunes is a popular software that effectively manages media on iOS devices such as iPhones, iPads, and iPods. If you’re an iOS user, you might already have it installed on your device.
Here are a few reasons why you should consider using iTunes to make a song into a ringtone:
- iTunes is a free software
- Easy-to-use interface
- Blends well with Apple’s ecosystem
- Supports a wide range of file formats
Method 1: Using iTunes to Make Ringtone
Step 1: Open iTunes on your computer and select the song you want to use as your ringtone.
Step 2: Right-click on the song, click on "Get Info," and then click on the "Options" tab.
Step 3: Check the "Start" and "Stop" boxes and enter the time frame of the portion of the song you want to use as your ringtone. The ringtone length is limited to 40 seconds.
Step 4: Click "OK" and then right-click on the song again. Select "Create AAC Version."
Step 5: The newly created AAC file of the song will appear adjacent to the original version of the song. Right-click on the newly created file and choose "Show in Finder" (Mac) or "Show in Windows Explorer" (PC).
Step 6: Change the file extension from "m4a" to "m4r". This is important, as iTunes will only recognize ringtones with the "m4r" extension.
Step 7: Double click on the newly renamed file, and it will automatically add to your iTunes ringtone library.
Step 8: Sync your newly created ringtone with your iOS device via iTunes.
- Free and easy-to-follow steps for creating a ringtone
- No need for additional software or tools
- Widely used software supporting a range of file formats
- Sync created ringtone with iOS device easily
- The ringtone length is limited to 40 seconds
- Only available on iOS devices
- The process of creating ringtones may be time-consuming with a large music library
- The process may become complicated if the song is not in the iTunes library
Method 2: Using Ringtone Maker to Create Ringtone
Step 1: Download and install the Ringtone Maker app on your iOS device. It’s available on the App Store.
Step 2: Open the app and select the song you want to use as your ringtone from your library.
Step 3: Cut down the specific part of the song you want to use as your ringtone by adjusting the start and end of the waveform using the interface. You can also adjust the volume, fade in and out effects of the ringtone.
Step 4: Preview your ringtone then save it.
Step 5: Set your newly created ringtone as your default ringtone or assign it to a specific contact.
- The app is available on the App Store, and it’s straightforward to use
- You can preview the ringtone before saving it
- Adjusting the volume and adding fade-in and fade-out effects can be done easily
- You can assign a different ring to different contacts
- The app is only available for iOS devices
- You may need to pay to remove ads or other in-app purchases
- The app may require access to your contacts and other sensitive information
Method 3: Using Online Ringtone Maker
Step 1: Open the browser on your device, and search for an online ringtone maker tool such as "Online Audio Cutter" or "Ringtone Maker."
Step 2: Upload the song you want to use as your ringtone.
Step 3: Adjust the start and end points of the section you want to use as your ringtone.
Step 4: Download the newly created ringtone to your computer.
Step 5: The process to transfer the newly created ringtone to your iOS device is similar to the method 1.
- No installation of software required
- A wide range of online tools to choose from
- Accessible via any device with an internet connection
- You can create a ringtone with any song in HD quality
- You’ll need to upload the song to the website, which may raise some privacy concerns
- You may not be able to preview the ringtone before downloading and saving it.
- Some online tools may charge for more advanced features
What to Do If You Can’t Make Song into Ringtone iTunes?
The above methods should suffice for most users. However, there might be instances when the process doesn’t work as expected. Here are a few steps you can take if you encounter issues while creating a ringtone:
- Check if the song is in the correct file format and location.
- Make sure your iTunes software is updated to the latest version
- Restart your iTunes software
- Contact Apple customer support or an Apple technician if issues persist.
If you’re looking for a more straightforward way to create a ringtone without going through all the hassle of making one, you can use the song’s chorus or the hook as the ringtone. It automatically eliminates the need to cut and edit the song, making it easier to create a ringtone.
Q1: Is it legal to use a song as my ringtone?
A: Under fair use laws, you can use a song as a ringtone without infringing on copyright laws as long as it’s for personal use only. However, if you’re creating a ringtone for commercial purposes, it’s best to seek permission from the song owner or copyright holder.
Q2: Is it possible to create a ringtone using a song from a streaming service?
A: Unfortunately, it’s not currently possible to create a ringtone from songs streamed through Apple Music, Spotify, or other streaming services.
Q3: Can I use a voice recording or sound effect as my ringtone?
A: Yes, you can use voice recordings or sound effects as ringtones. The process of making such a sound into a ringtone is the same as the methods we’ve described above.
Q4: Can I set a different ringtone for different contacts?
A: Yes, you can assign different ringtones to different contacts on your iOS device.
Q5: Can I use a remix of a song as my ringtone?
A: As with any copyrighted material, it’s illegal to use a remix of a song as your ringtone without permission. If you still want to use a remix as your ringtone, you must obtain the necessary permissions from the remix’s creator or owner.
Having a customized ringtone is a great way to express your personality and preferences. Making a song into a ringtone is a straightforward process that you can do using iTunes, an online tool or mobile apps. As an iOS user, iTunes is the most convenient and efficient method to create a ringtone without downloading any extra software. With the methods discussed in this article, you can now set up your favorite song as your ringtone effortlessly and stand out in the sea of generic ringtones.