Whether you are selling your old iPhone or experiencing glitches, resetting your iPhone should always be a go-to option to resolve issues with your device. Resetting your iPhone to its factory settings wipes all data and settings to make your iPhone act as if it’s straight out of the box. It’s crucial to know how to reset your iPhone correctly to prevent potential issues and data loss. If you are somebody who is new to iOS devices or is unaware of how to perform a reset on your iPhone, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. In this article, we will show you several methods to reset your iPhone to its factory settings without losing valuable data.
Why You Need to Reset An iPhone
There could be several reasons why you need to reset your iPhone. Below are some of the reasons why one might need to reset their iPhone:
– Your iPhone is slow and unresponsive, and you want to improve its performance without upgrading.
– If you’re going to sell or give away your iPhone, it’s important to wipe out all your personal data for privacy concerns.
– If there is a bug that no longer goes away or if you’re encountering unusual software behavior, then resetting can help.
– Your apps won’t update, and you’ve been advised to reset your reset iPhone.
– You didn’t get the expected performance out of the recent iOS update, so now you want to reset.
– You just want to start with a clean slate and start fresh.
Method 1: Reset iPhone via Settings
Resetting your iPhone through the settings menu is straightforward and user-friendly. Here is how to reset your iPhone to its factory settings using this method:
1. Go to the "Settings" app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on "General".
3. Scroll down and tap on "Reset".
4. Click on "Erase All Content and Settings."
5. Enter your passcode to continue.
6. Select "Erase iPhone" and tap on it.
7. Wait for your iPhone to complete the reset.
+ It’s easy to reset and faster.
+ You can back up data on iCloud/iTunes before resetting.
+ It’s beneficial if you forgot your passcode.
– It won’t remove Cydia, so it’s not helpful for jailbreaks.
– It requires passcode to operate.
– It doesn’t help with issues with the firmware.
Method 2: Reset iPhone via iTunes
A factory reset of your iPhone via iTunes is recommended if your phone can’t boot up or you’re encountering serious bugs, and the above method is not useful. Below, we have given you the steps to reset your iPhone via iTunes:
1. Connect your iPhone to your PC or Mac with a lightning cable.
2. Open up iTunes on your computer and choose your iPhone on it.
3. Click on the "Device Summary" tab.
4. Press on “Restore iPhone."
5. Click on the "Restore" button on your computer screen.
6. Wait as your iPhone restores.
+ It fixes any firmware-related issues.
+ It helps if your iPhone gets stuck on the Apple logo screen.
+ With iTunes, you can restore iPhone without a passcode.
– It’s a lengthy process compared to Method1.
– It will wipe out your iPhone entirely without saving backup.
Method 3: Hard Reset iPhone
A hard reset involves forcing your iPhone to restart. This method is usually helpful when your iPhone is stuck or frozen on the Apple logo screen or any other unresponsive state. Below are steps to follow to perform a hard reset:
1. Press and hold down both the "Sleep/Wake" and "Home" keys for around ten seconds.
2. Keep holding down the two buttons until the Apple logo appears.
3. Wait for your iPhone to finish restarting
+ It’s the quickest method to reset iPhone.
+ It features the Apple logo if performed successfully.
– It doesn’t work if there is a serious issue with your iPhone.
– It does not erase all content and settings.
What to Do If You Can’t Reset iPhone
If you’re encountering issues resetting your iPhone, the following options may be helpful:
– Check your iPhone’s warranty: If resetting your iPhone still doesn’t work, it might be a hardware issue that should be covered under your iPhone’s warranty. Visit your nearest Apple store for repair or replacement.
– Get in touch with Apple support: If you are unsure of the issue or are experiencing a significant problem with your iPhone, you can speak to Apple support for added assistance and guidance.
– Get help from a third-party iOS repair company: If your iPhone warranty is expired or you are not near an Apple store, third-party iOS repair companies can provide an affordable and fast solution.
Always ensure you back up all data to either iCloud or iTunes before resetting your iPhone. By backup up your data, you can quickly restore them once your iPhone is reset.
Q1: Will I lose my data while resetting my iPhone?
A: Yes, resetting your iPhone to its factory settings will erase all your data and settings.
Q2: Will resetting lock my iPhone?
A: No, resetting your iPhone won’t lock your phone.
Q3: Can resetting my iPhone fix software issues?
A: Yes, resetting your iPhone can fix several software issues.
Q4: Will resetting my iPhone delete jailbreak?
A: No, jailbreak files are not deleted during a factory reset.
Q5: Is resetting my iPhone safe?
A: Yes, resetting your iPhone via the options described above is secure and won’t cause any damage to your device.
Resetting your iPhone is an important process that every iPhone user should know. It’s a foundational method of fixing various issues and starting fresh whenever your phone exhibits unusual behavior. You should regularly reset your iPhone to clear out unnecessary data and improve performance. Lastly, always ensure you back up your data before resetting your iPhone. It will prevent tight situations and give you peace of mind.