Often taking too many pictures on the iPhone results in overcrowding the storage of the device, which can cause apps to crash and faced with storage issues. In these scenarios, deleting photos may be the only option that you have. However, it can be quite challenging to delete photos off iPhone but still keep them on the Mac.
Deleting all your photos off iPhone might not be the solution you are looking for, especially if you want to preserve your memories and still want them on your Mac for editing or sharing. Therefore, in this article, we will be discussing the best methods to delete photos off iPhone but keep them on the Mac.
To successfully delete photos off your iPhone but keep them on your Mac, you’ll require:
- iCloud for Mac enabled
- iCloud Photo Library enabled
What Requires Your Focus?
To delete photos off your iPhone without deleting them off your Mac, you need to focus on the following:
- Checking the syncing settings for your iPhone and Mac Photos app
- Selecting the photos you want to delete off your iPhone
- Keeping the photos on your Mac synced with iCloud for the same album
Different Methods to Delete Photos off iPhone But Not Mac
Method 1: Via Mac Photos App
The easiest way to delete pictures off your iPhone but not the Mac is by using the Mac Photos app. The Photos app is present on all Mac computers. Follow the steps to delete photos from iPhone but not from Mac with Mac Photos app.
1. Connect your iPhone to the Mac with a USB cable.
2. Click on the Photos app to open it on your Mac.
3. In the sidebar, click on your iPhone.
4. Select the photos you want to delete.
5. Right-click on them and select "Delete."
6. Confirm the deletion.
- Easy to use
- Single deletion can remove pictures off iPhone but tey can still keep on Mac
- Repetition needed for deleting different photos
- Time-consuming to delete multiple images
Method 2: Via iCloud Photo Library
iCloud Photo Library enables you to manage your photos and videos across all Apple devices. The pictures can be accessed from all devices, including the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Follow the given steps to delete photos from iPhone but not from Mac with iCloud Photo Library.
1. Enable iCloud Photo Library on your Mac and your iPhone.
2. After iCloud has synced the devices from both ends, launch the Photos app on your Mac.
3. Select the pictures that you want to delete from iPhone and keep on Mac, then go to "Delete."
4. This will remove them from your iPhone while ensuring that they are still available on the Photos app on your Mac.
- Manage photos from all Apple devices
- Allows for convenient access to photos across devices
- Might require a considerable amount of storage on iCloud instead of local storage
- Requires internet connection for seamless syncing
Method 3: Via Image Capture on Mac
Image Capture is an inbuilt app that comes with macOS X and enables users to delete photos from their iPhone without affecting the photos saved on the Mac. Follow the steps below to delete pictures from iPhone but not from Mac with Image Capture on Mac.
1. Connect your iPhone to Mac via a USB cable.
2. Launch the app "Image Capture" on Mac.
3. Select the photos that you would like to delete.
4. Click on the "Delete" icon.
- Quick and convenient to use
- Users can select different photos from different albums without any hassle
- Apple may remove Image Capture from built-in apps in the future, which would affect the support
- Requires time and effort to sort and select photos to be deleted
Why Can’t I Delete Photos off iPhone But Not Mac?
There are several reasons why one cannot delete photos off their iPhone but keep them on the Mac, which include:
Reason 1: The iCloud Photo Library is disabled on the iPhone or Mac.
Fix: Enable iCloud Photo Library on your Mac, iPhone, or both devices, following the standard Apple procedure to ensure they are synced.
Reason 2: The iPhone is using a different iCloud account than the Mac.
Fix: Make sure that you’re signed in to the same iCloud account on both your iPhone and Mac.
Reason 3: iPhone photos are not synced to the Mac.
Fix: To sync photos from iPhone to the Mac, connect your iPhone to your Mac and use the Photos app on your computer to select the photos you want to import.
Implications and Recommendations
Deleting photos from iPhone but not from a Mac allows users to manage memory usage and storage on their iPhone. However, there are some implications to be aware of before proceeding with the deletion.
- Ensure that photos are backed up on the Mac before deleting them off the iPhone.
- You might have to pay for additional storage on iCloud, depending on the number of photos that need to be stored and synced.
- Ensure that you use the latest version of the Photos app and sync your iPhone regularly, so the pictures are accurately backed up.
5 FAQs about Deleting Photos off iPhone But Not Mac
Q1. Can I delete photos off my iPhone but keep them on my Mac without iCloud?
A1. No, you cannot delete photos off your iPhone but keep them on your Mac without iCloud or any other cloud storage service enabled.
Q2. Can I still access my photos on my Mac if I delete them off my iPhone?
A2. Yes, if you delete photos off your iPhone but not your Mac. You can still access and view the pictures on your Mac using the Photos app.
Q3. Can I use iTunes to delete photos off my iPhone but keep them on my Mac?
A3. No, iTunes does not allow selective deletion of photos from the iPhone. It only allows the entire album to be synced between devices.
Q4. Can I delete pictures permanently from iPhone but keep them on my Mac?
A4. Yes, you can delete the pictures permanently from your iPhone but keep them on your Mac by choosing an appropriate method mentioned in this article.
Q5. Can I recover photos deleted from iPhone?
A5. Yes, you can recover photos deleted from the iPhone. The deleted items remain on the device for a set time period. You can use the "Recently Deleted" folder to retrieve the photos.
Deleting photos off iPhone but not from a Mac is a great feature to keep only essential memories and remove unwanted or temporary pictures. By following the methods mentioned in the blog, you can delete photos off your iPhone but keep them on the Mac with ease. Do make sure that the iCloud Photo Library is enabled for all devices and follow the instructions mentioned while utilizing the methods to avoid accidentally deleting essential memories.