When it comes to sharing videos shot on your iPhone, it can be a bit frustrating to find out that the file size is too large to email or share on social media. Compressing your video can help you reduce the file size and make it easier to share. In this blog post, we will discuss different methods to compress an iPhone video for email. By the end of this post, you will be able to choose the most suitable method for you and start compressing your videos hassle-free!
Before we dive into the methods, let’s take a look at the things you need to get started:
- An iPhone with the video you want to compress
- iTunes installed on your computer
- A video compressor software (optional)
What Requires Your Focus?
Compressing a video requires your attention to some important factors:
- Video quality: Compressing videos can sometimes affect the overall quality of the video. Make sure to consider the final output before compressing the video.
- File size: The smaller the file size, the faster it can be shared or emailed. However, too much compression can lead to poor video quality.
- Supported file formats: The compressed video should be in a supported file format to be shared or played on different devices and platforms.
Different Methods to Compress An iPhone Video For Email
Method 1: Compress An iPhone Video Via Settings
This method allows you to compress the size of a video directly on your iPhone, without installing any third-party apps. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open the Photos app on your iPhone and click on the video you want to compress.
2. Tap on the Share icon located at the bottom left corner of the screen.
3. Scroll down and select ‘Mail’.
4. Enter the email address you want to send the video to.
5. Before sending, choose the resolution of the video (Small, Medium, Large, or Actual Size).
6. Tap on ‘Send’ to compress and send the video.
– Compressing video via iPhone settings is convenient and doesn’t require installing any additional apps.
– The process is straightforward and easy to follow.
– This method compresses the video based on resolution and not actual file size, which may not give the desired result.
– The lowest resolution option might lead to a significant drop in video quality.
Method 2: Compress An iPhone Video Using iMovie
iMovie is an easy-to-use video editor available on iPhone that allows you to resize and save the video in a different resolution. Follow these steps to compress a video using iMovie:
1. Open iMovie on your iPhone and create a new project.
2. Import the video you want to compress to the project.
3. Click on the video, and a toolbar will appear above it.
4. Tap on the ‘Share’ button and select ‘Save Video’.
5. Choose the resolution for the compressed video (480p, 720p, or 1080p).
6. Tap on ‘Save Video’ to compress and save the video.
– iMovie is a free app available on iPhone, so you don’t need to install any third-party app.
– iMovie offers multiple resolution options, allowing for better control over the video’s quality and file size.
– iMovie is a video editor app, so it might take some time to learn its interface and features.
– Saving the video in a different resolution than the original might lead to a significant drop in video quality.
Method 3: Compress An iPhone Video With Dropbox
Dropbox is a cloud storage app that allows you to save and share documents and files. Here’s how to compress an iPhone video with Dropbox:
1. Open the Dropbox app and create a new account if you haven’t already.
2. Click on the ‘Upload’ button at the bottom of the screen.
3. Choose the video you want to compress and upload it to your Dropbox account.
4. Click on the video and select ‘Export’.
5. Choose the desired resolution for the video and click on ‘Export’.
6. Save the compressed video to your device.
– Dropbox offers a cloud storage solution that allows you to share files with others easily.
– It can compress the video without harming its quality by reducing its bit-rate.
– You need to install the Dropbox app on your iPhone and create a new account.
– Compressing a video through Dropbox can take longer than other methods.
Why Can’t I Compress My iPhone Video?
1. The video has already been compressed: If the video has already been compressed, you may not be able to reduce its file size any further.
Fix: If the video is still larger than you would like, you can try compressing it in a different way.
2. The video is too short: If the video is too short, compressing it might not make a significant difference in its file size.
Fix: Record a longer video that might have a larger file size and compress it using the methods discussed above.
3. The video is shot in high quality: High-resolution videos tend to have larger file sizes, which may not compress well.
Fix: Consider shooting the video in a lower resolution or compressing it using the recommended methods.
Implications and Recommendations
Compressing an iPhone video for email has numerous implications, especially for those who share a lot of videos online. To ensure a seamless and smooth sharing experience, we recommend compressing videos using one of the methods mentioned above.
5 FAQs about Compressing An iPhone Video For Email
Q1. What is the best resolution to use when compressing a video?
A1. Choosing the best resolution depends on the original video’s resolution and your preference. For most videos, compressing them to 720p or 480p is sufficient.
Q2. Can I compress a video without losing its quality?
A2. Compressing a video always leads to some sort of quality loss. However, you can minimize the drop in quality by choosing to compress the video at a higher bit-rate.
Q3. Can I compress multiple videos at once?
A3. Yes, some compression software and apps allow you to compress multiple videos at once.
Q4. Which video compressor software do you recommend?
A4. Handbrake and WinX Video Converter are two excellent video compressor software that you can use to compress videos on your computer.
Q5. How do I convert my compressed video to a different file format?
A5. You can use video converter software, such as Handbrake and WinX Video Converter, to convert your compressed video to a different file format.
Compressing an iPhone video for email is a straightforward and simple process, thanks to several methods available. By choosing the right method and considering important factors such as video quality and file size, you can compress and share your videos without hassle.