In today’s digital world, videos are an essential part of our lives, and at times, they take up much space on our devices, making them difficult to manage. Often, compressing a video is the best solution, but how do you go about it on your iPhone? In this article, we will take a look at various ways of compressing a video on your iPhone without losing its quality. We will explore different methods that you can use, the things you need to prepare for, pros and cons of the methods, and FAQs that are common when compressing videos on an iPhone.
The Challenge of How to Compress A Video on My iPhone
One of the significant challenges that iPhone users face when it comes to compressing videos is finding ways to reduce the file size without compromising the quality of the video. Generally, there are various reasons why you may want to compress a video on your iPhone. Maybe you’re running out of space on your device, or you need to send the video over the internet, and it’s too large to share. Whatever your reason, there are multiple methods that you can use to compress videos on your iPhone.
Things You Should Prepare for
Before we explore the methods of compressing videos on your iPhone, there are a few things that you should prepare for.
- 1. Ensure that your iPhone has an adequate amount of battery charge so that you can complete the compression process without interruptions.
- 2. Ensure that you have enough free storage space on your iPhone before compressing a video. This will come in handy when it’s time to save the compressed video.
- 3. If the video that you want to compress is stored on iCloud, make sure that you have downloaded it to your device before proceeding with the compression process.
- 4. In case you have any crucial data or video files that you don’t want to lose, consider backing up your iPhone before compressing the video.
Method 1: Using iMovie
iMovie is one of the most common editing applications available for iPhones and is a great choice for compressing videos on your device. Here’s how to compress a video using iMovie:
1. Open the iMovie app on your iPhone.
2. Click on the "Projects" tab at the bottom of the screen.
3. Click on the "+" sign and select "Movie."
4. Select the video that you want to compress and click on "Create Movie."
5. Click on "Download" to ensure that the video is available offline in iMovie.
6. Drag the video clip that you want to compress to the iMovie timeline.
7. Tap on the video clip and select "Adjust" at the bottom of the screen.
8. In the Adjust screen, click on "Crop and Zoom."
9. Use your fingers to pinch inward to adjust the size of the video.
10. When you are satisfied with the new size, click "Done."
11. Click on the "Share" icon at the bottom of the screen.
12. Select "Save Video."
13. Select the video size you want to compress the video.
14. Wait as iMovie compresses the video.
15. Once the process is complete, click on the "Save Video" option to save the compressed video.
- 1. iMovie is an intuitive and straightforward application to use.
- 2. It doesn’t take long to compress a video using iMovie.
- 3. The application has a preview feature, which allows you to see what the compressed video will look like before saving it.
- 1. iMovie’s compressing feature can’t compress videos beyond a certain size.
- 2. The app doesn’t have the best compression rate for videos.
- 3. You need to download the video from iCloud before compressing.
Method 2: Using Video Compressor App
The Video Compressor app is an application designed for compressing videos on iPhones. It is free to use and supports compression of multiple video formats. Here are the steps to compress a video using Video Compressor:
1. Download the Video Compressor app from the App Store.
2. Open the app and select the video that you want to compress.
3. Once you have selected the video, select the output format.
4. Select the compression level for the video.
5. Click on the "Start" button to compress the video.
6. Wait as the app compresses the video.
7. Once the process is complete, the app will prompt you to save the new, compressed video.
- 1. The Video Compressor app supports multiple video formats.
- 2. The app has customizable settings for compression rates, which allows you to adjust the quality of your compressed video.
- 3. Video Compressor is easily accessible on the App Store.
- 1. The free version of the app has watermarks on compressed videos.
- 2. The app can be slow during the compression process.
- 3. The application only allows for video compression to a certain limit.
Method 3: Using Handbrake Desktop
The Handbrake Desktop application is a free, open-source application that helps to compress videos on multiple devices, including iPhones. Here are the steps to compress a video using Handbrake:
1. Download and install the Handbrake Desktop application on your computer.
2. Open the application, click on "Open Source" to import the video that you want to compress.
3. Once the video is imported, click on "Presets" and select the device that you want to compress the video for.
4. Click on the "Browse" button and select where you want the compressed video to save.
5. Click on the "Start" button to compress the video.
6. Wait as Handbrake compresses the video.
7. Once the process is complete, transfer the compressed video to your iPhone.
- 1. Handbrake has a high compression rate.
- 2. The application has customizable settings, which allow you to adjust the quality of your compressed video.
- 3. It is easily accessible through a computer and supports multiple devices beyond iPhones.
- 1. Handbrake can take some time to compress a video.
- 2. The application can be a bit technical for beginners.
- 3. Users must have access to a computer to use Handbrake.
Why Can’t I Compress A Video on My iPhone?
There are several reasons why you may be unable to compress a video on your iPhone:
1. My iPhone says there’s not enough space to save the compressed video.
Q: How can I fix this issue?
A: Firstly, free up some space on your iPhone by deleting old files. Alternatively, try compressing the video using a different method or a lower compression rate.
2. The video already appears compressed, and I’m not making any progress.
Q: How do I go about it?
A: Ensure that the video you are trying to compress hasn’t already been compressed. If the video is already compressed, then it may not save further.
3. The compression process is taking too long to complete.
Q: What can I do?
A: Check that you have adequate battery life on your iPhone during the compression process. Also, try compressing the video using a different method that is faster.
4. The compressed video’s quality is not as good as the original video.
Q: What can I do?
A: Try compressing the video using a different method or a higher compression rate that retains the original quality of the video.
Here are some additional tips to help you when compressing a video on your iPhone:
- 1. Save a backup copy of the original video before compressing it to avoid potential data loss.
- 2. Always check for the compressed video quality before deleting the original file.
- 3. Try using cloud storage platforms to store your videos that can compress the videos when uploading.
- 4. Always aim for the best quality possible in your compressed video by adjusting the compression rate to ensure that it is suitable for the intended purpose.
5 FAQs about How to Compress A Video on My iPhone
Q: What video formats can iMovie compress?
A: iMovie can compress different video formats like, MOV, MP4, and M4V.
Q: Does the Video Compressor App compress videos beyond a certain limit?
A: Yes, the app has a limit for the videos that can be compressed. However, the limit depends on the available free space on your device.
Q: Do I need an internet connection to compress a video on my iPhone?
A: No, an internet connection is not necessary when compressing a video on your iPhone.
Q: Can I compress multiple videos at the same time using Handbrake?
A: Yes. You can drop in as many files as you like and leave the computer to do the compression during which you can still use it.
Q: Does compressing a video affect its resolution?
A: Yes. Compressing a video affects its resolution and the quality of the video. However, you can adjust the compression rate to reduce the quality loss.
Compressing a video on your iPhone is a great way to save on storage space or to share them over the internet. With the above methods, you now have an array of ways to compress videos on your iPhone without losing quality. Evaluate the pros and cons and identify the method that may work best for your specific needs. Hopefully, this article has given you a detailed insight into different methods of compressing videos on your iPhone, things to prepare for and the FAQs that you may have.