Do you find the default ringtones on your iPhone boring? Want to customize your own ringtone? Why not change it to your favorite song? Changing the ringtone is a personal touch that makes your iPhone stand out from the crowd. In this article, we will discuss the steps you can take to change your iPhone ringtone to a song.
The Challenge of Changing Your Ringtone
Changing your iPhone ringtone to a song may seem daunting at first, especially if you are not familiar with iTunes or other third-party apps. Additionally, some songs may not be compatible with the iPhone’s ringtone format. However, with our guide, you will learn three simple methods to achieve this customization in no time!
Things You Should Prepare for
Before you start changing your ringtone to a song, there are a few things you should prepare for. Firstly, make sure to have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer. You will also need the desired song in MP3 or M4A format, with a length of no more than 40 seconds. Lastly, ensure your iPhone is connected to your computer and that you have a USB cable to transfer the song to your device.
Method 1: Using iTunes
– Easy and free
– Does not require using third-party apps or software.
– Limited to songs purchased through iTunes.
– Setting the song length is time-consuming.
1. Launch iTunes and select the desired song in the library.
2. Right-click on the song and select "Get Info."
3. In the "Options" tab, set the start and stop time for the song (maximum 40 seconds).
4. Right-click on the song again and select "Create AAC Version." A new file will appear in your library with the same name and length but in M4A format.
5. Locate the M4A file by right-clicking it and selecting "Show in Windows Explorer" or "Show in Finder."
6. Change the file extension from M4A to M4R.
7. Drag and drop the renamed file to the Tones folder, under your iPhone in iTunes.
8. Select your iPhone, and under "On My Device," click "Tones."
9. Check "Sync Tones" and choose "Selected Tones."
10. Choose the ringtone you created and click on "Apply."
Method 2: Using GarageBand
– Can convert almost any song into a ringtone.
– Allows precise editing of the song to fit to 40 seconds.
– Requires a moderate learning curve to navigate GarageBand.
– Does not work on older Mac versions.
1. Launch GarageBand and create a new project.
2. Choose "Audio Recorder" and select "Create."
3. Click on the red dot to start recording and play the song you want to use as your ringtone.
4. When the song is finished, stop the recording by clicking on the red dot again.
5. Select "Edit" and drag the yellow handles to trim the song to 40 seconds.
6. Select "Share" and choose "Ringtone to iTunes."
7. Give your ringtone a name, select your iPhone under "Use sound as," and click "Export."
Method 3: Using Third-Party Apps
– Offers a vast variety of ringtones and customization options.
– Easy to use and user-friendly interface.
– Charge for some advanced features.
– Some apps show annoying ads.
1. Download and install a third-party app like Zedge, AnyTrans, or GarageBand.
2. Open the app and search for the song or ringtone of your choice.
3. Click "Download" or "Convert" to start the process.
4. Open iTunes and connect your iPhone to your computer.
5. Go to "File" and select "Add File to Library," and locate the downloaded ringtone.
6. Select your iPhone and click "Tones."
7. Check "Sync Tones" and choose "Selected Tones."
8. Choose your desired ringtone and click "Apply."
Why Can’t I Change My Ringtone?
Q1: Why can’t I see the Tones section in iTunes?
A: The "Tones" section only appears if you have synced ringtones to your iPhone before. If you have never synced ringtones to your iPhone, the "Tones" section will not show up. To fix it, create a new ringtone or purchase one from iTunes, then sync it to your iPhone.
Q2: Why can’t I drag and drop the ringtone to the Tones folder in iTunes?
A: Make sure the ringtone is in M4R format and not larger than 40 seconds. If the issue persists, restart both iTunes and your computer and try again.
Q3: Why isn’t my ringtone appearing on my iPhone after I sync it in iTunes?
A: Ensure the ringtone is "Selected" in the "Tones" tab of your iPhone in iTunes. If your ringtone is longer than 40 seconds or not in M4R format, it will not sync to your iPhone.
Q4: Why is my GarageBand ringtone not showing in iTunes after exporting?
A: Ensure the "Share" settings in GarageBand are set to export the song as an M4R ringtone.
– Make sure your iPhone is set to "Ringtone" instead of "Silent" mode before setting the ringtone.
– Keep in mind that custom ringtones may affect the battery life of your device.
– Use iTunes or third-party apps to create your own ringtones for free, instead of purchasing ringtones from iTunes.
– Remember that personalizing your ringtone is a small touch, but it can add a lot of personality to your device.
5 FAQs about Changing Ringtone to A Song
Q1: Can I use any song as my ringtone on iPhone?
A: Not all songs can be used as ringtones due to licensing issues. However, almost any song can be converted into a ringtone using iTunes, GarageBand, or third-party apps.
Q2: Can I use my purchased song on iTunes as my ringtone?
A: Yes, songs purchased on iTunes can be used as ringtones. Follow the steps in "Method 1: Using iTunes" to create a custom ringtone.
Q3: How long can my ringtone be on iPhone?
A: The maximum ringtone length on the iPhone is 40 seconds.
Q4: Can I set different ringtones for individual contacts on iPhone?
A: Yes, you can set custom ringtones for each contact on iPhone. Open the Contacts app, select the contact to edit, and tap "Edit." From there, tap "Ringtone" and choose the desired ringtone.
Q5: Is there a way to export my customized ringtone from iPhone to computer?
A: To export a custom ringtone from iPhone to a computer, you can use iTunes File Sharing. Connect your iPhone to the computer, open iTunes, select your device, and go to "File Sharing." You can then locate and save the ringtone on your computer.
Changing your iPhone ringtone to a song can add a personal touch to your device that is both fun and easy to do. Whether you use iTunes, GarageBand, or third-party apps, customizing your ringtone is a great way to show off your style and personality. Follow our guide to change your ringtone in no time!