Emails have become an integral part of our lives today, and we receive a lot of them every day. But some of these emails may be irrelevant or spammy, and they can be frustrating to manage. The good news is that you can block specific email addresses from your iPhone Mail app. This feature allows you to cut down on the amount of unwanted emails you receive, making your inbox more manageable. This blog post will guide you on how to block emails on your iPhone Mail app.
In this article, we will provide you with different methods to block emails on your iPhone Mail app, the reasons why you may not be able to block certain email addresses, implications and recommendations for blocking emails, and answers to some frequently asked questions about this topic.
You will only need the Mail app on your iPhone to block emails. The Mail app is an essential application on every iPhone, and it comes pre-installed on all iPhone models.
What Requires Your Focus?
Blocking emails on your iPhone Mail app requires attention to detail and some level of patience. You need to be sure of the email address you want to block, and you must be willing to follow the instructions in this article carefully.
Different Methods to Block Emails on iPhone Mail App
Method 1: Block Emails through Spam Filter
The iPhone Mail app automatically filters out spam emails and sends them to the spam folder. The spam filter also allows you to block specific email addresses. Below are the steps to block emails through the spam filter.
1. Open the Mail app on your iPhone.
2. Go to the “Mailboxes” screen and tap “Spam” folder.
3. Find the email you want to block and swipe left on it.
4. Tap “More”.
5. Tap “Block this Contact”.
6. A window will appear asking you to confirm if you want to block that contact. Tap “Block Contact” to confirm.
- Blocking emails through the spam filter is a simple and quick process.
- The iPhone Mail app will automatically move future emails from the blocked contact to the spam folder.
- The spam filter may not catch all emails from the blocked contact.
- You may still receive notifications for emails moved to the spam folder.
Method 2: Block Emails through Contact List
If you already have the email address in your iPhone contact list, you can block the email address through your contacts. This method is useful if you know the email address of the contact and have their information saved on your phone.
1. Open the “Contacts” app on your iPhone.
2. Find the contact you want to block and tap on their name.
3. Tap “Edit”.
4. Scroll down and tap “Block this Caller”.
5. A window will appear asking you to confirm if you want to block that contact. Tap “Block Contact” to confirm.
- You do not need to search for the email address to block it.
- The contact will be blocked from calling and sending messages as well.
- If you have multiple email addresses for the same contact saved in your contact list, blocking the contact through this method may not block all of the email addresses.
- You have to go to the Contact app to block the contact, not the Mail app.
Method 3: Block Emails through iCloud.com
You can also block emails from specific email addresses through iCloud using a web browser. This method is helpful if you want to block emails from a contact that is not saved on your iPhone but is saved on iCloud.
1. Open a web browser on your iPhone and go to iCloud.com.
2. Sign in with your Apple ID and password.
3. Click on “Mail”.
4. Find the email from the contact you want to block.
5. Hover the cursor over the sender’s name or email address. A small “i” will appear.
6. Click on the “i” icon.
7. A pop-up will appear with options such as “Reply,” “Forward,” and “Add to VIPs.” Click on “Block this Contact.”
8. A pop-up will appear asking you to confirm that you want to block the contact. Click on “Block” to confirm.
- You can block emails from contacts saved on iCloud and not just on your phone.
- You can block emails from any web browser, not just Safari on your iPhone.
- You need to have a stable internet connection to access iCloud.com.
- You do not receive any notifications for emails moved to the spam folder.
Why Can’t I Block Some Emails?
You may not be able to block some emails due to several reasons. Here are some reasons why:
1. Email Address has Multiple Formats
If the email address you want to block has multiple formats, i.e., the use of dots or hyphens in the email address, you may not be able to block it. The iPhone Mail app recognizes each format as a different email address. For example, if the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org, the iPhone Mail app will recognize email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org as different email addresses.
2. Email is from Apple Mail
You may not be able to block an email address from Apple Mail or any other Apple-related app.
3. Email is from a Group Mailing List
If the email address you want to block is part of a group mailing list, you may not be able to block it. You need to block the email address from the sender’s email account, or you can unsubscribe from the group mailing list.
4. Email is from an Unknown Sender
If the email address you want to block is from an unknown sender, the iPhone Mail app may not recognize it as a contact.
- If the email address has multiple formats, try blocking all the formats.
- If the email is from Apple Mail or any other Apple-related app, try marking it as spam instead.
- If the email is from a group mailing list, unsubscribe from it, or block the email address from the sender’s email account.
- If the email is from an unknown sender, try marking it as spam.
Implications and Recommendations
Blocking emails may have some implications on your iPhone Mail app. Some of these implications include:
- You may not receive some important emails that you have blocked.
- Email addresses that are similar to the blocked email may also be moved to the spam folder.
- You may need to regularly check your spam folder to avoid missing some emails.
Here are some recommendations when it comes to blocking emails:
- Only block emails from contacts that you are sure are spam or irrelevant.
- If you accidentally block an important email address, unblock it immediately.
- Create rules to manage your emails automatically. For example, you can create a rule to mark emails from a specific sender as spam.
- Regularly check your spam folder to make sure you do not miss any important emails.
5 FAQs about Blocking Emails on iPhone Mail App
Q1. Can I block more than one email address at once?
A1. Yes, you can block more than one email address at once. However, you need to follow the steps to block each email address separately.
Q2. Will the blocked contact know that I have blocked them?
A2. No, the blocked contact will not know that you have blocked them.
Q3. Can I unblock a contact that I have blocked?
A3. Yes, you can unblock a contact that you have blocked. To unblock a contact, go to Settings > Phone > Blocked Contacts, then tap Edit and select the contact you want to unblock.
Q4. Will the iPhone Mail app still show notifications from blocked contacts?
A4. Yes, the iPhone Mail app will still show notifications from blocked contacts. However, the notifications will be moved to the spam folder.
Q5. Will my blocked contacts still be able to leave a voicemail?
A5. Yes, your blocked contacts can still leave a voicemail. Blocking a contact only stops them from calling or sending you messages.
The iPhone Mail app provides a convenient way to manage your emails, but it can be frustrating when you receive irrelevant or spammy emails. Blocking emails on your iPhone Mail app reduces the number of unwanted emails you receive, making your inbox more manageable. This blog post has provided different methods to block emails, reasons why you may not be able to block some emails, implications and recommendations for blocking emails, and answers to some frequently asked questions about this topic. Take advantage of these tips to keep your inbox clean and manageable.