The home screen of an iPhone is where we keep all of our apps organized. While one home screen may be enough to some, others may find it difficult to keep all their apps organized without multiple home screens. Some people may even want to separate work and personal apps onto separate home screens. Fortunately, it is possible to add multiple home screens on the iPhone.
In this blog, we will discuss what’s needed to add multiple home screens on the iPhone, 3 methods with steps to do it, why sometimes users might not be able to add multiple home screens and its possible fixes, suggestions to make the most of the multiple home screens, and five FAQs.
Before we delve into the methods, there are a few things you’ll need to do it. These include:
- iPhone running iOS 14 or later
- Apps to fill the additional home screen(s)
- Basic knowledge of using the iPhone
Method 1: Add Home Screen through App Library
Apple’s latest operating system, iOS 14, came with a new App Library feature that automatically organizes all app icons into categories, making it easier to navigate through and find apps. The App Library also provides an option to add a new home screen. Here’s how to do it:
- From your iPhone’s home screen, swipe left to scroll through all of your existing home screens until you reach the App Library.
- Tap and hold anywhere on the App Library screen until the Edit Home Screen option appears.
- Tap the "+" icon in the top left corner of the screen to add a new home screen.
- A new, blank home screen will be created. You can now start adding apps by tapping and holding them until they start to jiggle, then dragging them to the new home screen.
- To move an app to a different home screen, tap and hold the app until it starts to jiggle, then drag it to the edge of the screen. Once you’ve reached the edge, the screen will move to the next one, and you can drop the app onto it.
Method 2: Add Home Screen through Page Dots
Another way to add a new home screen is through page dots, which are indicators at the bottom of your iPhone screen that show how many home screens you have. Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to your iPhone’s home screen and swipe to the right until you reach the last home screen.
- Swipe right once again, and you should see a new, blank home screen with no apps on it.
- You can now start adding apps to this new home screen by tapping and holding them until they start to jiggle, then dragging them to the new home screen.
Method 3: Add Home Screen through Settings
If you prefer a more straightforward method, you can add a new home screen through the iOS Settings app. Here’s how:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the "General" tab, then tap on "Home Screen."
- Tap "Add Home Screen."
- You should now have a new, blank home screen. You can start adding apps to this screen by tapping and holding them until they start to jiggle, then dragging them to the new home screen.
Why can’t I add multiple home screens?
Sometimes users may not be able to add multiple home screens due to a few reasons. These include:
- iPhone running on an older operating system
- Insufficient storage space on the iPhone
- iOS restrictions enabled
- A software bug
Q: My iPhone is running on iOS 14, but I still cannot add multiple home screens. What can I do?
A: If you are running on iOS 14 but still can’t add multiple home screens, inspect further. Check if there is enough storage space on your iPhone or if you have any iOS restrictions enabled. If you have checked everything and still can’t add multiple home screens, try updating your iOS and see if that helps. If none of these methods works, contact Apple Support to get further assistance.
Q: I have too many apps on my iPhone, but I want to keep them all. How can I add more home screens without running out of space?
A: While it’s understandable to want to keep all of your apps, it’s essential to remain practical. Consider organizing apps into folders or deleting apps you no longer use to free up some space. You can also use cloud services or external storage devices to store data and apps you don’t need as often to avoid cluttering up your iPhone’s memory.
Q: Will adding multiple home screens affect my iPhone’s battery life?
A: Adding more home screens won’t directly affect your iPhone’s battery life. Still, the apps and processes running in the background might drain your battery faster than usual, depending on how you use your device.
Q: Can I move an app icon from one home screen to another without going through the Edit Home Screen option?
A: Yes, you can. To do it, tap and hold the app you want to move until it starts to jiggle, then drag it to the edge of the screen. Once you reach the edge, the screen will move to the next one, and you can drop the app onto it.
Adding multiple home screens to your iPhone is useful for keeping your apps organized and quickly accessible. However, it’s essential to handle the home screens efficiently to avoid cluttering your iPhone’s interface. Here are a few helpful tips to make the most out of your multiple home screens:
- Use app folders to categorize apps into groups like "Games," "Utilities," "Work" or "Social Media."
- Organize your home screens by priority, placing the most frequently used apps on the first home screen.
- Remove apps you don’t frequently use to avoid cluttering up your iPhone’s memory space.
- Make use of widget tools to enhance the functionality of your home screen, adding useful information or tools like the weather or calculator.
Q: How many home screens can I add to an iPhone?
A: You can add up to 15 home screens on an iPhone.
Q: Can I hide a home screen on an iPhone?
A: Unfortunately, you cannot hide a home screen on an iPhone. You can only reorganize and remove apps to create an empty home screen.
Q: Is there a limit to how many apps I can put on a home screen?
A: There is no fixed limit. However, Apple advises keeping the number of apps to a minimum to make navigation more manageable and reduce the strain on the iPhone’s memory.
Q: How do I delete a home screen on an iPhone?
A: Unfortunately, it’s not possible to delete an entire home screen on an iPhone. However, you can reorganize your apps and delete them to create an empty home screen.
Q: Can I customize my home screen’s background on an iPhone?
A: Yes, you can customize your home screen’s background by going to Settings > Wallpaper and choosing a picture or selecting a dynamic or live wallpaper.